Tell Us Once

Tell Us Once allows you to report a death to most government organisations and local councils in one go.

Tell Us Once is a government service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go, as well as to your local council.

How to use Tell Us Once

After you have registered the death, the registrar will give you a unique Tell Us Once reference number. This allows you to access the Tell Us Once service on GOV.UK.

If you have been issued with a Coroners Fact of Death (Interim Death Certificate) you may still be able to use the service. The registrar will advise you how to do so.

Find out more about Tell Us Once on GOV.UK.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify a range of organisations, including:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)  
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) 
  • Passport Office 
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) 
  • the local council – to cancel Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support), a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register
  • London Councils – to cancel a Freedom Pass

Death Notification Service

There is also the free Death Notification Service. This compliments the Tell Us Once service and can be used to inform a range of private companies, such as banks, of a death.

Go to the Death Notification Service website.