Responsible licensee

Responsible Haringey retailers, controls on alcohol sales, underage sales, Pubwatch scheme and more.

Responsible Haringey retailers

Here in Haringey, licensed premises play an important role in the life of the borough.

They offer employment opportunity and the pubs, clubs and restaurants make the borough a vibrant and diverse place for socialising and entertainment.

Local shops are an important part of the community. We all have a duty to ensure your business is a responsible retailer.

Controls on alcohol sales

Under the Licensing Act 2003, there are 5 mandatory conditions attached to all premises licences relating to the sale of alcohol.

They are aimed at irresponsible drinking and preventing binge drinking.

Conditions 1, 3 and 5 do not apply to premises licences that sell alcohol for consumption off the premises, such as off-licences.

All licence holders should note that condition 4 requires them to have a written policy in place on underage sales.

5 conditions for licensees

  1. Generally, to take all reasonable steps to ensure staff do not carry out, arrange, or take part in any irresponsible promotions in relation to premises. Examples include games or other activities which:
    1. need or encourage individuals to drink a quantity of alcohol within a time limit
    2. need or encourage individuals to drink as much alcohol as possible
    3. provide unlimited or unspecified quantities of alcohol free or for a fixed or discounted price to the public
    4. provide free or discounted alcohol
    5. offer a prize to encourage or reward the buying and consuming of alcohol
  2. To ensure that no alcohol is dispensed directly by one person into the mouth of another – the so called ‘dentist’s chair’ being the main example
  3. To provide free tap water on request to customers where reasonably available
  4. To ensure that an age verification policy applies in relation to the sale or supply of alcohol. The policy must require individuals who appear to the licensee to be under 18 to produce on request, before being served alcohol, identification showing their photograph, date of birth and a holographic mark
  5. To ensure that, if the following drinks are sold or supplied for consumption on the premises, it is available in the following measures and that customers are aware of the availability of these measures:
    1. beer or cider: a half pint
    2. gin, rum, vodka or whisky: 25 ml or 35 ml
    3. still wine in a glass: 125 ml

Underage sales and your licence

Staff training

All customer-serving staff should be trained in the rules of age restricted sales.

You will want to prove that you have given training. Keep a written record of it, dated and signed by both you and each staff member.

Watch staff to make sure they use the instructions and training that you give.

Assessing a customer’s age

You cannot expect your staff to be able to judge the age of teenagers.

Use good practice such as the Challenge 21 policy. This avoids doubt and is acknowledged as best practice.

If a customer appears to be under 21, they must prove they are over the legal age for that product, for example 18 for alcohol.

Refusing sales

Your staff may feel uncomfortable refusing sales in case they are subjected to abuse or violence.

Make sure that all front-line staff have the necessary skills to deal with this as it is an essential part of the job.

Beware of fake Identification

Fake proof of age and identity cards are freely available through shops and the internet.

Tell your staff only to accept PASS accredited proof of age cards like:

  • Validate UK
  • Connexions
  • Portman
  • Citizen Card

Other than these, only a passport or photo driving licence should be accepted.

Pubwatch scheme

There is an active Pubwatch scheme in Haringey and we encourage you to join it.

It’s run by premises licence holders in the various areas and meets every 6 weeks.

Members take part in local initiatives such as campaigns to help reduce theft of handbags and mobile phones from their premises. The scheme provides information of people banned from all Pubwatch venues.

For more information about Pubwatch, please contact us or the police licensing officer on 020 3276 0150.

Changing your licensing details

You must contact us and let us know if you change your name or address and hold one of these licences:

  • personal licence
  • premises licence
  • club premises certificate
  • designated premises supervisor

Changes to your business

Please contact us and let us know if you:

  • sell the business
  • go into administration or insolvency
  • are declared bankrupt

Offences under Licensing Act 2003

There are a number of offences for which you are liable as a licence holder. You need to be aware of them.

Contact the licensing team