Scrap metal licence

Types of licence, eligibility, how to apply and activities that need licensing under the 2013 Act.

To deal in scrap metal you must have a licence. 

Please note: motor salvage operators must have a site licence. 

The licences issued by us only allow you to operate in Haringey. Search by postcode to see if an area is located in Haringey

Types of licence 

There are 2 types of licence: 

  • collector’s licence
  • site licence  

Both licences must be renewed every 3 years. 

Please see further information on conditions and licence restrictions

Collector’s licence 

A collector’s licence from Haringey allows you to travel within the borough and collect scrap metal.  

You will need a licence from each borough you want to collect scrap metal from. 

You must display your licence on your vehicle. 

  • Collector’s licence fee: £261.

Site licence 

A site licence lets you buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location(s) within Haringey. 

You must display your licence on your site(s). 

  • Site licence fee: £365.


For both licences you must have a: 


Please see the guidance notes for scrap metal licence application

You will need:

  • proof of ID
  • proof of address
  • vehicle log book

See full details of the information you will need to provide.

Application form 

Please complete the site or collector’s licence application form at GOV.UK.

Activities that need licensing under the 2013 Act 

Please see further guidance on licensable activities under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 (Act). 

Links to the full Act and regulations are also provided: 

Contact the licensing team