Explosives and fireworks

Regulations, firework safety, licences to manufacture and store explosives.


The Explosives Regulations 2014 covers explosives’ regulations for:

  • authorisation 
  • safety 
  • security 
  • placing on the market 

Haringey trading standards enforces: 

  • safe storage 
  • separation distances 

Regulation guidance 

The main guidance:

  • is aimed at more complex and larger operations 
  • contains technical guidance and background information 
  • will help those in charge to follow safety and security rules 

Read more: Health and Safety Executive (HSE) - Explosive Regulations 2014

Firework safety

Fireworks must be stored and used safely and responsibly.  

We enforce firework legislation, together with HSE. This is to protect consumers and the general public. 

Please see the following information on firework safety: 

Licences to manufacture and store explosives

Where to apply 

This depends on the quantity and type of explosive you want to store.  

If you: 

  • manufacture explosives you need to apply for a licence from HSE
  • wish to store 2,000kg or more of explosive you need to apply for a licence from HSE
  • wish to store up to 2,000kg of an explosive that requires an explosives certificate (eg blasting explosive or black powder) you need to apply for a licence or registration from your local police
  • wish to store up to 2,000kg of explosive you will need a licence from us – see below 

Apply to store up to 2,000kg of explosive

Please download, complete and return the the form to us via email:

We will normally visit the proposed store.

Application fees 

Explosive licensing below 250kg net explosive content (NEC):
  Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5

New licence (< 250kg NEC) 

£111 £144 £177 £211 £243

Renewal licence (< 250kg NEC) 

£55 £88 £123 £155 £189

Variation/transfer/replacement fee


Explosive licensing above 250kg up to maximum 2,000kg net explosive content (NEC):
  Year 1 Year 2 Year 3 Year 4 Year 5

New licence (> 250kg NEC) 

£189 £248 £311 £382 £432

Renewal licence (> 250kg NEC) 

£88 £150 £211 £272 £333

Variation/transfer/replacement fee


How we will take payment

We will take payment over the phone once we accept your application. You will need a debit or credit card. You will be given a reference number.  

If you need the licence for part of the year only, you will pay the amount covering the length of time the licence is needed.

No VAT is payable on these fees. 

After applying 

We will issue a certificate which will, in most cases, set out the: 

  • name and address of the licensee/registered person 
  • address of the store 
  • amount and type of explosive that may be kept there 

Contact the licensing team