Council tenants: repairs responsibilities

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance in your home.

What you are responsible for

As a council tenant, you are responsible for some repairs and maintenance, including:

  • replacing locks and keys if you lose your keys
  • repairing, adjusting, or replacing inside doors, locks, handles, linings, doorstops and door frames
  • maintaining kitchen units (including sink unit and taps)
  • repairing and renewing floor coverings
  • replacing light bulbs, fluorescent light tubes and fuses
  • replacing plugs and chains on baths, basins and sinks
  • replacing fixtures and fittings such as curtain rails, hooks and shelves

You are also responsible for:

  • cleaning windows (except in shared areas)
  • maintaining your private garden (not shared gardens), including grass, shrubs, trees, all paving, paths and patios, except those that lead up to the front and back entrance doors

What we are responsible for

As the landlord, the council is responsible for repairing damage caused by wear and tear or faults caused by a structure or service, including repairing or replacing:

  • kitchen units (including sink units and taps)
  • floor tiles (in kitchens, bathrooms and toilets only)
  • baths, basins, pans and cisterns (including bath panels and toilet seats)
  • paths and paving (only leading to front and back doors)

For more information, please read the repairs handbook .