Housing advice for people experiencing a non-violent relationship breakdown

Part of: Help if you're at risk of becoming homeless

Do I have to leave?

Housing rights in a relationship breakdown can be complicated and you may need to seek legal advice. If you have a joint tenancy or own a property with your ex-partner you may still have rights to occupy the place you are living in together.

You may have rights to remain in the property even if you do not have a joint tenancy or own the property jointly. This may be the case if you have dependents living in the property. If you are living in social housing, it is very unlikely that your landlord will get involved with the details of who can remain in the property. This is because this matter is guided by Matrimonial Homes and Children’s Act legislation.

You should seek legal advice before leaving the property.

Where to go for housing help and advice

You are advised to seek legal advice. Many law firms offer fixed fee interviews where you can get comprehensive advice on your legal rights to remain in the property and how the matter can be resolved longer term.

Information and advice for joint tenants and what their housing rights are after splitting up is available on Shelter's website. Shelter can also be contacted by telephone: 0344 515 1944

You call contact Citizens Advice for general and legal advice and help. Telephone 08444 111444.

Help available from Haringey Council if a court determines you have to leave

If you apply to Haringey Council for housing assistance because you are homeless in these circumstances, we may not necessarily be legally obliged to provide you with any accommodation.

However, we will have a duty to assess the circumstances of your homelessness, identify what your housing and support needs are, and to work with you to try to prevent your homelessness or support you to find you somewhere to live. We will provide you with a ‘personal housing plan’ which will tell you what we can do to help you and what you can do to help yourself. This might include actions such as attending appointments with our employment and skills team or visiting letting agents to secure yourself alternative accommodation.