Fire or flood

What to do if your home has been affected by fire or flood.

If you are a tenant in a council property managed by Haringey, call us on 020 8489 5611. Lines are open Mondays to Fridays, 8am to 6pm. You can report an emergency on these numbers at any time.

You can also find useful information about fire safety and what to do in the event of a fire, on the council tenants' pages.

If you are a housing association tenant and you are unable to live in your accommodation because of a fire or flood, please contact your Housing Manager at your housing association immediately.

Otherwise, if you are unable to continue to live in your accommodation because of an emergency such as a fire or flood, you can be offered an appointment with one of our housing needs officers.

At your appointment we will look into your situation, help you to access services to enable you to move back to your home as soon as possible. If this is not possible we will advise what other housing options are available to you.

You should make an appointment by telephoning the housing needs duty line on 020 8489 1000 or by visiting a customer service centre.