Reporting problems in private rented housing

What we can help with, report a problem, what we don't do.

The private sector housing team aims to provide a service to all private-sector housing residents who require assistance, advice or guidance on housing-related problems.

We are responsible for inspecting privately rented housing with serious disrepair that can pose a risk to its occupants, such as:

  • no heating in the winter months
  • damp and mould
  • faulty electrics
  • pest-related issues such as cockroaches, mice or bedbugs in a privately rented property or coming from one
  • unlicensed property
  • drainage issues in privately owned or rented homes
  • leaks between properties if the offending property is privately rented

How to report a problem

Anyone can report an issue affecting a privately rented property to the private sector housing team, even if they are not the tenant themselves.

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation, you should:

  1. tell your agent or landlord your concerns in writing before you report them to the council
  2. give your agent or landlord a reasonable time to respond

This will help the council to process your complaint more quickly. It may also protect your rights as a tenant.

To be able to investigate your complaint more quickly, we will need:

  • your full address and contact details
  • your landlord's contact details
  • details of your housing issue
  • any documents you think may help us with our investigations (for example, tenancy agreement, photographs)

Report a problem

You can also report an unlicensed property.

What we cannot do

We don't investigate problems with properties that are not occupied by private tenants.

Council tenants, please visit the council housing repairs page.

Temporary housing tenants, please visit the temporary and emergency accommodation page.

If you are a residential social landlord or housing association tenant, you should log your complaint with your own housing association. If you have done this and are not satisfied with the outcome, you should log your complaint with your housing association’s complaints team. If you would like more advice or help with this, please contact us.

Contact the private sector housing team