Borrowing and charges
What we offer
- Library members can borrow books, eBooks and eAudiobooks, language courses free of charge
- There is a small charge for borrowing music CDs, audiobooks and DVDs
- An affordable and attractive audio/visual subscription offer available - pay a flat fee at start of subscription and hire charges do not apply.
- Concessionary rates available (see below)
- Members may borrow up to 12 books, up to 8 audiobooks and CDs, up to 2 language courses and 4 DVDs to a maximum of 25 items.
- Children can borrow up to 15 books, 10 audiobooks and 2 language courses for free!
- You may keep each item for 3 weeks (6 weeks for language courses)
- DVDs may only be borrowed for one week
- Loans are made to those who are able to visit our libraries personally
- There is also a Home Library Service for people who are unable to visit our libraries in person
Fees and charges
We introduced a comprehensive range of concessions for young people, over 65s and those in receipt of certain benefits and financial support, as well as introducing an affordable audio/visual subscription offer, where hire charges are not applied during the subscription period (Overdue fines apply).
Concessionary rates are for library members who are:
- 16 to 24 year old
- over 65
- in receipt of certain benefits and financial support, such as:
- job seekers allowance, housing benefit or Universal Credit
- employment and support allowance or pension credit
- disability living allowance, personal independence payment or with other verification of long-standing disability
Reservation charges are no longer applied to stock that is available in our catalogue, including if items are out on loan. If a particular item is not in the catalogue, the administration fee will apply (see details below).
Reservations for requests to order items
The reservation charge is an administrative charge and is payable upon making the reservation. It is not a guarantee that an item can be supplied. We aim to fulfil the majority of requests but occasionally this is not possible, if so, you will be notified.
Please note: any charges that have been outstanding for 3 months or more will result in your account being blocked.
In order to start using your account again, you will need to clear the outstanding balance. If charges accumulate to £10 or more, your account will again be automatically blocked.