Child employment licence

How to apply for an employment licence and when you need to have a licence.


Email us for an employment licence application form.

When you need an employment licence

You need a licence to employ young people between the ages of 13 and 16. This includes employing your own children to work in the family business.

If you employ a young person without first getting a licence, you can be prosecuted under:

  • the Children and Young Persons Act 1933
  • the Children and Young Persons Act 1963 (as amended)
  • Haringey Council byelaws in respect to child employment

You cannot employ a child under 13.

See GOV.UK for more information on child employment and the hours children can work.

Contact the child employment officer