Performance/stage licence for children

Apply for a child performance licence, what you need to apply, when you do and do not need a licence.


Please email us for a child performance licence application form.

What you need to apply

You must send with your form:

  • a passport sized photograph of the child
  • a copy of child’s passport or birth certificate
  • permission from the child’s school

When you need a licence

If you run an event, you may need a licence for a child if they’re under school leaving age and taking part in:

  • films, plays, concerts or other public performances that the audience pays to see, or that take place on licensed premises
  • any sporting events or modelling assignments where the child is paid

When you do not need a licence

You do not need a licence if the child is not paid and:

  • they have not taken part in performances on more than 3 days in the past 6 months
  • the performance is arranged by the school
  • the secretary of state has said such performances are exempt, like scout gang shows

Contact the child employment officer