Council Tax Reduction

Help to pay your Council Tax if you're on low income or receive benefits.

Make or view a claim, report a change and upload evidence online.

Start now

Who can claim

You can claim if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:

  • your circumstances – for example, your income, number of children, benefits and residency status
  • your household income – this includes savings, pensions and your partner's income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Use our Benefit Calculator to see if you can get a reduction to your Council Tax.

Additional support

The Government have given more funding this year to help low income households pay their Council tax.

We have already reduced bills by £25 for households who had Council Tax Reduction on 1 April 2023.

If you qualify for any further support, we will send you a new bill by the end of September. You do not need to apply. For more information see Council Tax Support Fund guidance on GOV.UK.

How Council Tax Reduction is worked out

There are two types of reduction.

Council Tax Reduction

If you're on a low income.

Second Adult Reduction

If your income or savings are too high for the main reduction, but you're the only person paying Council Tax and you share your home with one or more adults who:

  • do not pay rent
  • are not your spouse, partner or civil partner
  • have a combined weekly income of less than £344

When you apply for a Council Tax Reduction we will automatically work out which type gives you the most money.

For more details on how your Council Tax Reduction could be effected by others living with you see non-dependant deductions and income bands.

See full Council Tax Reduction scheme details.

How Council Tax Reduction is paid

The reduction amount for the full financial year is paid into your Council Tax account. You will then be sent a new bill for the reduced amount.

Disagree with or appeal a decision

You can contact us to disagree with a decision. We will then write to you explaining any changes or why we cannot change our decision.

Appeals must be made in writing within 1 month of the date on the decision letter.

If you have been told the decision is not going to change after disagreeing, you can appeal directly to the Valuation Tribunal for England, which is an independent body.

Make sure you're aware of the strict time limits when appealing a decision.

Contact customer services: benefits

Office hours
Monday to Tuesday 9am to 5pm
Wednesday 10am to 5pm
Thursday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday to Sunday Closed
The content provider requires that you accept marketing, preferences, and statistics cookies in order to view this content. Open cookie settings

51.595401638478, -0.10933574616762