Make a Housing Benefit claim

Housing Benefit is money to help cover your rent if you're on a low income or of state pension age.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit

Start now

Who can claim

Most people should apply for Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit can cover part, or all of your rent. You can claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • are unemployed or working
  • are of state pension age since May 2019 (this needs to apply to both members if you are part of a couple)
  • live in supported, sheltered or temporary accommodation

You cannot claim Housing Benefit if you have £16,000 or more in savings unless you get Pension Credit Guarantee Credit.

If you cannot claim Housing Benefit, you may be able to claim Universal Credit on GOV.UK

If you need help paying your mortgage, please see Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) on GOV.UK

What you will need

These are the most common types of proof we may ask for:

  • identity, National Insurance number and immigration status
  • rent and residency
  • earnings
  • self-employment and company directors
  • benefits, child benefit and Tax Credits
  • pensions
  • savings and investments
  • child care charges
  • student status and student income

We may need proof that is not in the list above, in which case we will tell you exactly what we need when we ask for it.

For the full list of documents required, go to Benefits: proof we need

Contact customer services: benefits
Office hours
Monday to Tuesday 9am to 5pm
Wednesday 10am to 5pm
Thursday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Saturday to Sunday Closed