Personal licence

Who needs a personal licence, eligibility, how to apply, relevant offences, licence validity, change of name and address, lost or stolen licences.

Who needs a personal licence and how to apply

Who needs a personal licence

A personal licence allows you to become a designated premises supervisor (DPS).  

A DPS is responsible for the day to day running of a business that has a licence to sell alcohol, known as a premises licence.

A personal licence makes sure that anyone running or managing a business that sells or supplies alcohol does so responsibly and professionally. 

If you want to run a business that is licensed to sell alcohol you must have a DPS. To be a DPS you must hold a personal licence. 

You do not need a personal licence to be employed in a pub or other business that sells alcohol. 


You must: 

  • be 18 or over 
  • have the right to work in the UK 
  • have a relevant licensing qualification, such as a BIIAB Level 2 Award for personal licence holders or a similar accredited qualification 

How to apply 

Applications must be made in the borough where you live, not the borough where you work. 

So, if you live in the borough of Haringey, you’re in the right place to apply for a personal licence. 

You must supply: 



Apply online

Please complete both (we cannot accept one form without the other):

  • personal licence application
  • disclosure of convictions form

Apply now

For the personal licence, you must include your supporting documents with your online application. 

We accept the following file types: 

  • doc, docx, jpeg, jpg, jpe, pdf, png, tiff, tif 

You can pay by credit/debit card or PayPal. 

Keep a note of your application reference as you may need it for other licences you apply for. 

You will also need to complete a disclosure of convictions form online

Apply by post

If you prefer, you can download, complete and send back to us the following 2 forms:

We will contact you to take payment over the phone.  

After applying 

It takes 4 weeks to process your application. If you meet the eligibility criteria you will be given your personal licence. 

Relevant offences 

If you have been convicted of a relevant offence, we will let the police know of your application and convictions.

The police then have 14 days to decide whether they object to you being granted a personal licence.  

How long the licence is valid 

Your personal licence will last indefinitely. 

You may lose your licence if we become aware of a criminal conviction. 

Change of name and address 

You must let us know if you change your name or address.  

Please contact us via email with your new details.

There is a fee of £10.50 for a replacement. We will take payment over the phone with a debit or credit card. 

Lost or stolen licences 

Please contact us via email if your licence has been mislaid. 

There is a fee of £10.50 for a replacement. We will take payment over the phone with a debit or credit card.

Contact the licensing team