Letter of authorisation

Part of: Help using online services

Permission to discuss your Council Tax or Housing Benefit matters with someone else

If you have an enquiry about Council Tax or Housing Benefit matters, there are a number of ways you can contact us (see contact us about Council Tax and contact us about Housing Benefits sections).

If you would like somebody else to contact us on your behalf, you will need to confirm that you give that person permission to contact us before we can discuss your matters with them.

To give somebody permission to contact us on your behalf, you must either download and fill in the letter of authorisation template  or write to us with the following information:

Your details

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your email address 
  • Your telephone number(s)
  • The reference/account/claim number of the account you allow them to discuss e.g. Council Tax number, Benefit claim number 

Details of the person you're allowing to contact us on your behalf

  • Their name 
  • Their address 
  • Their email address 
  • Their telephone number(s)
  • Their relationship to you

Sending your authorisation to us

  • Scan or take a photo of your signed and completed form or letter and upload it to our online contact form (see helpful information on uploading files to send us online).
  • or print, sign and date the letter and return it to us at:

    Corporate and Customer Services

    PO Box 10505

    Wood Green

    London N22 7WJ

Withdrawing permission

If you wish to withdraw your permission at any time, you will need to do so in writing using the online contact form.