Dropped kerb: planning permission

Part of: Dropped kerbs

Planning permission is needed if the:

  • crossover is directly on a classified road (check if a road is classified)
  • property is a listed building
  • property is not a house, for example a flat, maisonette or commercial premises
  • proposed hard standing is more than 5 square metres of non-permeable surface

Planning permission is needed if the property is in a conservation area and:

  • work includes removing a front wall which is higher than 1 metre
  • there is an Article 4 direction

Search our conservation areas to confirm if your property is listed as one.


Before submitting a planning application, we strongly advise you to talk to our planning team.

Find out how to submit a planning application.

Council tenant

If you are a tenant in a council property, you must get permission from your area housing officer.

Lawful development certificate

Before carrying out any work, we recommend you apply for a Lawful development certificate on the Planning portal.