Check you can convert your civil partnership

If you are in a same-sex civil partnership, you can convert it to a marriage if you registered in England or Wales. You do not have to convert your civil partnership with the same local authority that registered it.

You can also convert if you registered according to the law of England and Wales in a consulate or armed forces base overseas.

Changing your civil partnership to a marriage is called standard conversion. You can choose to simply convert, or you can follow the conversion with a marriage ceremony.

After the conversion you will receive a marriage certificate.

Find out more about how to convert a same-sex civil partnership into a marriage on GOV.UK.