Noise complaints

Noise we can investigate and how to make a complaint.

What we can investigate

We can only investigate noise that happens often and is unreasonable. 

For us to investigate a noise problem, it must either:  

  • greatly disturb the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises  
  • injure health or be likely to injure health  

Our officers decide whether noise is unreasonable based on what the average reasonable person finds acceptable.   

Find out more about statutory nuisance on GOV.UK

Noise we can investigate  

We can investigate loud noise that happens often like:  

  • loud music or TV  
  • constant dog barking or other noisy domestic animals  
  • burglar or car alarms sounding continuously   
  • mechanical plant equipment (AC units/extractors/generators)   
  • street performers  

Building sites and home improvements

Loud noise from building sites and home improvements can happen on: 

  • Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm  
  • Saturday, 8am to 1pm 

If loud noise is happening outside of these hours, you can make a complaint. 

Noise we cannot investigate  

We do not investigate noise disturbances that happen once or twice.

We cannot investigate normal noise that is not unreasonable like: 

  • babies crying or young children playing
  • one-off parties or BBQs
  • noise from reasonable DIY and home improvements
  • daily activities like doors closing, toilets flushing and walking across floors or up and down stairs   
  • noise from household appliances like washing machines or hoovers, unless at antisocial hours
  • shouting, raised voices, arguments, laughing 
  • people talking in gardens   
  • doors slamming  
  • furniture moving  
  • intermittent banging  
  • aircraft and railway noise