Road closures for street parties and fetes

Part of: Road closures

Street parties are small, self-organised events for residents.

To apply for a street party road closure, fill out the following form and email it to us.

You will need to include a plan showing the: 

  • section of road you are closing
  • diversion route
  • support signatures from residents affected by the road closure (at least 70% in agreement)

If you are selling alcohol you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Roads that can be closed

The following roads can be closed:

  • quiet residential streets
  • cul-de-sacs

Roads that cannot be closed

The following roads cannot be closed:

  • main roads
  • bus routes
  • bus diversion routes
  • blue routes (emergency vehicle routes)
  • roads where roadworks are being carried out

Dates and times

You must apply at least 6 weeks before your event date.

Road opening times

Roads will reopen at:

  • midnight on Fridays, Saturdays and bank holiday Sundays
  • 10pm on Sundays and bank holiday Mondays

The event should end 1.5 hours before these times for organisers to clear the road before it reopens.


You must keep a clear route for:

  • passers-by (minimum width 1.5 meters)
  • emergency vehicles (minimum width 3.25 metres)
  • access to fire hydrants and hydrant marker posts

Traffic signage

The closed street must have the correct temporary signage as stated on the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 on the website.

You can get ‘road closed’ signs and ‘no waiting’ traffic cones from hire shops or road sign suppliers.

Diversion signage must be placed in all the right areas on nearby roads.


You should get public liability insurance from a reputable insurer with a limit of indemnity of no less than £5 million for each claim.

Insurance is needed if you are using:

  • staging
  • maypoles
  • bouncy castles 

Do not damage anything in the street and please leave it clean and tidy.

Resident agreement

Before applying for a street party you must: 

  • deliver a letter or flyer to all residents within the intended closed section of road
  • let residents know why, when and what you are planning
  • collect at least 70% of resident agreement signatures (you can use the signature form included at the end of the street parties application form)

More advice

For more information and helpful tips see:

Apply to close a road for a street party

Contact the traffic management group