Council Tax discounts and exemptions for live-in carers

Part of: Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

If you are a full-time carer, you may qualify for a Council Tax discount or exemption.

How to apply

Please see the checklist below for the evidence you will need to provide. You will need to upload this as you fill in the form.

Start now

Who is eligible for a carer's discount or exemption

For Council Tax purposes, the carer must:

  • live in the same property as the person receiving care
  • provide care for at least 35 hours a week
  • not be a spouse of the person they provide care for or a parent caring for their child who is under 18 years old 

The person being cared for must also be entitled to one of the following:

  • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • higher rate of Attendance Allowance
  • an increased Constant Attendance Allowance
  • an increased Disablement Pension
  • an Armed Forces Independence Payment

Contact customer services: Council Tax