Council Tax discounts and exemptions for students

Part of: Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

If everybody in the household is a full-time student you do not have to pay Council Tax. If one of the adults in the property stops being a student or a non-student moves in the exemption will stop.

You may still be entitled to a discount if there is only one non-student in the property.

Apply for a student discount or exemption

Start now

What evidence we need

You must provide a certificate as evidence of student status before a reduction or exemption can be applied. Your university or college should be able to provide you with this. You can upload the certificate when you apply.

The student certificate must contain the following information:

  • the name and address of the college or university issuing the certificate
  • the full name of the student
  • the student's date of birth 
  • a statement saying that the person is (or has) followed a course of education as a student
  • the date when the person became a student and the date the person's course is expected to end 

Which students can get an exemption or discount

To qualify for an exemption or discount there are certain criteria you must meet. 

Students on full-time courses of education

Students studying on a full-time course qualify for a discount or an exemption. The course must:

  • be in the UK or the EU
  • be in a further or higher education establishment.
  • last at least one year
  • require the student to undertake periods of study, tuition or work experience which together amount to at least 21 hours per week for at least 24 weeks in each year

Students who are under 20 years old

Students under 20 years old qualify for a discount or exemption if the course:

  • lasts more than 3 calendar months
  • involves at least 12 hours of attendance per week between 8am and 5.30pm
  • is not a correspondence course
  • is not part of the person's job
  • is not a higher education course

Foreign language assistants

Foreign language assistants qualify for a discount or an exemption if they are appointed by a school or college in Britain which is registered with the British Council.

Spouses or dependants of students

Spouses or dependants of students are not counted provided they are not a British Citizen and are prevented by immigration regulations from taking paid employment or claiming benefits whilst in the UK.

Student nurses

Student nurses may be able to receive a discount if they are on a course leading to an appropriate registration under the Nurses, Midwives and Health Visitors Act.

The length of exemption or discount

The exemption or discount will last for the duration of the course. The period of a student’s course runs from the day they begin the course and continues until it is completed or the student decides to leave the course.

Vacations during the course are treated as part of the period of the course.

Contact customer services: Council Tax