Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

Who qualifies for a single person discount.

Single and disregarded people

Council Tax is worked out based on the number of adults living in a property. 

Some people are not counted, or ‘disregarded’, when working out how many people live in a property. This means you might be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill if you get one.

Single person discount

You’ll get 25% off your bill if you pay Council Tax and you live on your own. To be eligible, your property must be your only or main place of residence.

Start now

Single person discount review

If you have received a letter to check if you are still entitled to a single person discount, see the single person discount review page for more information. 

Who we disregard when working out your Council Tax bill

Even if you're disregarded, you still need to apply for a discount, reduction or exemption.


You’re disregarded if you’re: 

  • 18 or 19 years old and in full-time education 
  • a full-time student at college or university 
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the British Council 

Find out more about student discounts and exemptions

Carers and people who are severely mentally impaired

You're also disregarded if you're:


You're also disregarded if you're an apprentice. 

To apply for an exemption, you'll need to provide a letter from your employer confirming: 

  • the start and expected end date of your apprenticeship 
  • evidence that you earn no more than £195 per week 
  • proof you are enrolled on a course accredited by the National Council for Vocational Qualifications 

Please fill in the discounts and exemptions form to apply.

Contact customer services: Council Tax