Reporting a problem with an HMO

Part of: House in multiple occupation (HMO) licensing

If you are a tenant and wish to report a problem with your house in multiple occupation (HMO) you must: 

  • have first raised the matter with your landlord in writing and given them the opportunity to respond/react. This is to protect your tenancy should enforcement action need to be taken against your landlord in the future.
  • have your landlord/managing agent contact details to give to the operator
  • have a full description of the problems you have

If you have a complaint or concern about an HMO but you don’t live in the property, please:

  • provide as much information as you can about the property
  • respect the fact that officers do not have the right to enter a property without being invited in by a tenant. As a result of this the officer may not be able to confirm your allegations immediately.
  • accept that it may take time for officers to investigate complaints about HMOs

How to report a problem

You can use our online form to report a problem with an HMO:

Report a problem with an HMO

You can also contact us using the details at the bottom of the page.

If you don’t live in an HMO

If you’re a private tenant in a property which is in disrepair but isn’t an HMO, visit our reporting problems in private rented housing page.

Council tenants, please visit the council housing repairs page.

Temporary housing tenants, please visit the temporary and emergency accommodation page.

If you are a residential social landlord or housing association tenant, you should log your complaint with your own housing association. If you have done this and remain dissatisfied with the outcome of their investigations, you should log your complaint with your housing association’s complaints team. If you would like more advice or help regarding this please email

Contact the private sector housing team (HMO licensing)

Office hours
Monday to Friday 8:45am to 5pm
Saturday to Sunday Closed