Give notice

Before you can get married or have a civil partnership, you and your partner must give notice at your local register office.

Before you can get married or have a civil partnership, you and your partner must give notice at a register office. To give notice in Haringey, you must have lived in Haringey for at least the previous 9 days. 

Book an appointment to give notice

Book now

You need to give notice at least 29 days before your ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days.

Please give notice as far in advance as possible to make sure you can have your ceremony on your chosen date. You cannot give notice more than 12 months in advance. 

If you and your partner live in different registration districts, you must each give notice separately, in the registration district you live in.

Your appointment

All appointments to give notice take place at Haringey Register Office. At your appointment you will declare:

  • who you intend to marry or form a civil partnership with
  • where the ceremony will take place
  • that you are legally free to get married or form a civil partnership

Both you and your partner will be interviewed separately. Please arrange your own interpreter if you need one, as you will be unable to interpret for your partner.

Documents you will need to bring

You will have to bring along original documents to provide:

Weddings in places of worship

Depending on where you are getting married, different rules apply. If you're getting married:

  • in a Church of England or Church of Wales building, contact the church where you plan to have your ceremony to check what you must do
  • in any other place of worship, you must give notice

If you're subject to immigration control

If you or your partner are subject to immigration, or can't prove that you are not subject to immigration, you must both give notice at the same time. You must give notice at a register office in the area where one or both of you lives.

Being subject to immigration means that you or your partner:

  • has a valid UK visa or entry clearance including a visa to marry or form a civil partnership
  • has indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
  • has no status in the UK including people who are overstayers
  • is an asylum seeker
  • is a European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) national or a partner of an EU/EEA national without settled status/pre-settled status who applied after 30 June 2021 under the EU Settled Status Scheme on GOV.UK

Find out more about the evidence you need to give notice if you're subject to immigration control.

Getting married or forming a civil partnership outside of England and Wales

Special rules apply to marriages and civil partnerships outside England and Wales, including abroad.

Contact customer services: Haringey Register Office

By appointment only
Office hours
Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4pm
Saturday to Sunday Closed
The content provider requires that you accept marketing, preferences, and statistics cookies in order to view this content. Open cookie settings

51.603648950239, -0.11072254999999