Proof of your identity

Documents and information you need to provide at your notice appointment to prove your identity, including your name, date of birth and nationality.

Prove your identity

You must be able to prove your identity, which includes your:

  • name
  • age
  • nationality

To prove this, please bring a valid passport or Home Office travel document.

Other ways to prove your identity

If you don't have either of these, there are other ways to prove your identity.

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983, you can use a valid UK birth certificate or valid UK driving licence. If you're using a UK driving licence as ID, you cannot use it as proof of address.

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983

If you were born in the UK on or after 1 January 1983 and do not have a valid passport, you will need to bring your full original UK birth certificate along with evidence of your parent(s) nationality at birth.

This could be their passport or their birth certificates. You can get copies of birth certificates from the Register Office where the person was born.

UK certificates of naturalisation 

You can also prove your identity using a UK certificate of naturalisation. We can only accept a certificate of naturalisation if it has been issued by the United Kingdom.

If you have none of these documents

If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, or not born in the UK and do not hold a valid passport, UK Certificate of Naturalisation or Home Office travel document, you will need to obtain a passport or UK Travel Document before making an appointment.

Please note that ID cards, including from the EU/EEA cannot be used to give notice.

If you're adopted

If you're adopted, you take the nationality of the adopted parent or parents, regardless of whether or not they are married. If you're adopted and aren't using a passport as proof of your nationality, we will need to see your adoption certificate and your parent's birth certificate.