Proof of your immigration status

If you or your partner are subject to immigration, certain rules will apply.

If you're subject to immigration control, you'll both need to provide evidence of your:

  • full name
  • age
  • nationality
  • address
  • immigration status


You must provide passport-sized photographs for both of you, where one or both are subject to immigration and do not have indefinite leave to remain.

Get a share code

If you have an immigration status that can be seen online, for example if you have EU settled status or pre-settled status, please get a share code from GOV.UK. You must do this within 30 days of any appointment to give notice.

The best way to satisfy us of the above is to supply us with your:

  • current passport
  • your share code
  • a recent proof of address such as a bank statement, phone, gas or electricity bill

Find out more about how to give notice.

If you do not have the necessary documents, along with the notice fee, we will not be able to take your notice and you may lose your money.

Marriages, civil partnerships and the automatic right to stay in the UK

While you do not need a visa to get married or form a civil partnership, you do need to have the necessary entry clearance to be in the United Kingdom legally.

Getting married or entering into a civil partnership does not give you an automatic right to stay in the United Kingdom.

Couples who are subject to immigration control are advised to seek advice from the Home Office and apply for any necessary visas or entry clearances in good time. For more information, go to marriages and civil partnership in England and Wales on GOV.UK.